Hobbyboss 1/48 P51-D Mustang

Hobbyboss produce a number of easykit models aimed at beginners to the hobby or folk just wanting a simple build.. One of these is a 1/48 Mustang..

My view is the kits are ok not the best in terms of detail and the accuracy is a little off in some areas. But with a bit of effort they can scrub up into decent models.

I built mine with a few replacement parts from other mustang kits the Canopy on this build for example is from the Hasegawa P51 kit and the Prop is form the Tamiya F51 kit.. I replaced the Kit decals with some from an old Ventura sheet. The model depicts an aircraft of 77 Squadron RAAF based in Japan in the late 1940's...

Here is the Model..



I painted the airframe using some decanted Tamiya TS11 Airframe silver. This is a acrylic lacquer paint and airbrushes very nicely.  I hand cut a mask out of frisket and masked the shark mouth and painted this.  I added some contrast panels to the airframe using Gunze Super Metallics the antiglare panel is in Tamiya Nato black and I 'chipped' this shortly after it was painted with a toothpick.







I painted the Drop tanks in yellow mainly for a bit of colour contrast perhaps they are Napalm tanks being used on an armaments practice camp??

I gave everything a bit of a wash with some light grey oil paint very highly thinned and added a bit of exhaust staining with some thinned enamels airbrushed on. 

Not the best Mustang model on the market but a enjoyable build. 

Thanks for looking..




Comments