Tamiya T-62 a Work In Progress

As a Teenager I can remember the first 1/35 Tamiya kits I ever bought...

They were the BMW 750 Motorcycle and side car.. Germany infantry at rest and German Infantry Weapons... All of these are still available I think..

The kits were mind blowing to me as they were so nicely detailed.  I built a few Tamiya 1/35 armour kits after that and then for years I've never been back..... Over the last year or so I have built a few 1/48 Tamiya Armour kits which are also great... I recently decided to give 1/35 a go and bought the Tamiya T-62 kit....

Like a lot of stuff i build this kit has been eclipsed by Trumpeters T-62 kits and folk seem to think the Tamiya kit has all sorts of issues with shape and lack of detail. I thought It would make the perfect base for me to embrace 1/35 armour modelling in the modern era and I spent up on after market bits for it.

I decided early on I wanted to build a Syrian example simply because they seemed to offer a more interesting colour schemes and with the unfortunate ongoing conflict in Syria the Armour in use there is very eclectic.

Here is basically where I have gotten to so far with the T-62..




I have been chipping away at it in between other builds.

I started with the base Tamiya kit and added weld beads to the hull using some stretched sprue and Tamiya Extra thin glue and a bit of 'chop chop' action from a scalpel blade.



I added some surface texture to the turret with some surfacer..

As you can see I also replaced the kit grab rails with brass wire and replaced the kit head light guard with a home made one from soldered brass wire and tube...


At this point I replaced the gun barrel with a turned Aluminium + Brass one from RB models..


The kit supplied HMG on the Loaders cupola is a product of it's era and rather then replace this I made a dust cover tarp out of thinly rolled milliput to cover it up...


I also purchased a set of Fruil Model tracks and spent a few hours assembling the links and making track runs up. The Fruil tracks are great and I'd say they lift the model up a whole level in terms of detail look and weight... I was posting my progress on this build on one of the forums and some one mentioned the kit road wheels are not very good... I considered this for about a month or so and then decided to upgrade them with an inexpensive set of wheels from a Ukranian supplier. 

These are resin and are aimed at the Trumpter kit but with some work fitted the Tamiya kit with no issues...



After this it was onto paint I used some Ammo Colours which TBH I disliked as I'm used to working with Gunze and Tamiya.  I freehanded the camo scheme and went with a tricolour scheme.






After this It was onto the weathering.... more on this later...

Comments